Our history

“Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God” (John 1:12)

St. Anne’s is a bible-based church with our local community at heart.

The parish of St. Anne’s & St. Augustine’s is situated in the middle of Thorburn Square, a few minutes walk from the Blue Market.

We offer a warm welcome to newcomers and visitors alike, and aim to encourage the ministry of all our members.

We are a Church of England church, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion, in the diocese of Southwark. We share a vicar with our sister church, St. James’s, in Thurland Road. We value our close links with the other churches in the parish, and with the local community.



Bermondsey is an area of great diversity, rich in culture and history – with a great future. Rich and poor, old and new, our area brings together people of all backgrounds. Bermondsey is a changing place, with extensive ongoing redevelopment.

The church of St Anne was built in 1869-72, designed by J. Porter, with gardens to the north and south. The hall accommodation was added in 1894.

The church is situated in the middle of Thorburn Square, which is a pedestrian precinct, surrounded by post-war council housing. The church is built in stock brickwork with stone dressings to piers and buttresses.

There is a stone faced bell tower in the south west corner which contains one bell. The roof coverings are natural slate.

The hall has separate entrances on the south and east elevations. Part of the hall is used as office accommodation.


To find out about other historic church buildings locally vist the Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Open Church website